Monday, September 8, 2014

Until We Meet Again

Over the summer I suspected I'd be writing this post when September hit and my blogging break ended, and sure enough, here I am. And it's a tough one for me to write because it's my last for a long, long while. I'm not shutting down my blog or deleting it, I simply won't be posting much -- if at all -- in the foreseeable future. The reasons are many but the sum total is this: my life is changing. The changes are good ones; they just don't allow me the time I need to be a good blogger -- and to me blogging means more than just posting here; it means spending time on your blogs too.

My kids are now ages sixteen and fourteen (a high school junior and freshman), and the time I have with them before they head off to college is precious and I don't want to miss a minute. And after a break from traditional classroom teaching for quite a few years, I'm back at it -- substituting right now, which is providing a perfect transitional phase for me.

But as I took my extended blogging break over the summer, I contemplated "What is it I most want to be doing?" And my answer was always "I want to spend my life living my life." And sometimes that means making really hard choices -- like not blogging and even sometimes not writing as much as I want to -- because first I must live life. All the rest comes second.

As far as sharing about middle grade books, I'll be using Twitter. Each Friday, I'll tweet under the hashtag #FridayReads to spread word about what middle grade book I'm currently loving. I even have a few giveaways planned.

And now as I close this post, I thank each of you for supporting my blog. Because without blog readers (who honestly feel more like friends), a blog is simply a journal. But because of you, this truly has been a blog.

Until we meet again,

16 comments:

  1. Yes, life does change and it is important to live it. I'm going through lots of changes too. Good luck with yours and hope you'll find time to continue blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss seeing you pop up in the blogosphere, but I completely understand. Social media in general is such a time-suck. If something ever needs to give, it's usually that. Glad you'll still be on Twitter occasionally, though! Have fun living life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully written post! I'm afraid that the day of the blog may be over--many are shutting down, and it is certainly a challenge reading all the good ones left. Barbara, your blog has always been a pleasure to visit. Your insights on what makes for good writing are always spot-on, and you come across as a person with great integrity. I wish you all the best, living with those teens and going back to substitute teaching. See you on Twitter! Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will greatly miss reading your wonderful blog posts, Barbara. Your blog is one of the first I came across when first exploring the wonderful social media community for writers. I treasure your insights and will definitely be keeping up with you via twitter (and email too!). As always, I wish you the very best in all that lies ahead. Sounds like exciting things await :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will miss your blog posts, but will continue to connect with you in other ways, I'm sure! It is definitely a struggle, writing blog posts and also reading other blogs, which is where I fall flat lately. Blessings on your life changes, they definitely sound like good ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be sure to follow your #FridayReads! Come to #kidlitchat some Tuesday night, or #mglitchat on Thursdays, if you can. Glad you'll still be available on Twitter, at least, but I'll miss your thoughtful blog posts. Blogging does take a lot of time, not the writing of the post so much, as the following other blogs. I devote hours every Monday to this, but have to stay away on other days or I'd never get anything done. And living life is certainly more important. I hope Michael's wrong about the day of the blog being over, but with millions of book blogs out there, no one can possibly keep up. All best to you, Barbara. Enjoy those teenagers! Before you know it, they'll be twenty-something like my sons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll miss you in the blogosphere, but I'm sure you're making the right choice. I haven't been updating my blog as often, because I just can't find time to be a good liver of life and blogger. So I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope this gives you the time you need. I'll try to check out your tweets. I see you recently read Saving Lucas Biggs. One of my favorites this year. Take care. Enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope we'll still see you around! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to have "met" you, Barbara, in the time we've visited each other's blogs--and I cheer you on in your decision. You can always come back to blogging if you choose, but you can't turn the time back on your kids growing up! So enjoy this precious time with them before they leave home and know that the writing bug can take other forms that fit in with your lifestyle besides blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll miss your posts, but will try to catch your #FridayReads. I agree with your choice, though. You don't want to miss living your life. Enjoy your break. Enjoy the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What they don't tell you when the kids are little is that being with them when they're BIG is just as important. I think the sheer time and energy that blogging takes -- creating thoughtful posts and visiting other blogs -- means that the "post blog" era, in general, might be something that's coming. And yay for #FridayReads on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man!!! I will miss you!! (twitter just isn't the same, but I'm going to make a vailant effort to keep connected!) I totally understand your reasons, with four daughters of my own, I face the same constant question of how best to use my time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope all has been going well with you! I am not great with twitter hashtags, but have recently been learning- so hopefully I will be able to see your tweets that way. I think it is wonderful that you are doing what you need to do for you and your family (even if we all miss you). :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Comments. They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.