Monday, January 13, 2014

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace

Oh man. I adore this book. Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace by Nan Marino was on my to-read list for a long time, but finally I got my hands on a copy and had the chance to read it. I now have a hardcover copy in my bookcase, too, so you know it's among my favorites--because only my favorites get purchased in hardcover and get to live in my prized bookcase.

The premise: Cecilia Wreel lives in Wares Grove, New Jersey--a not much of anything town. But then Elvis Ruby arrives--to hide out. He was supposed to win the reality show TweenStar, but he froze onstage, and now he just wants to hide from the paprazzi and make some pancakes at his aunt's restaurant. But then Cecilia finds out who he is . . .

What I loved: This is a story about so much more than just the plot. So much more. It's about finding yourself -- even if (and especially if) who you are is someone different than everyone always said you were. It's also about finding friends, finding what matters most to you, and finding your music.

I know that doesn't really tell you much about the story, but my goal with MMGMs isn't to tell you a story's details; it's to entice you to read the story or pass along the title to someone you know. I hope I've done my job.

Enjoy more middle grade recommendations from the list on
Happy middle grade reading,

26 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds like another good one! Definitely going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne featured this last year and I wanted to read it too.
    I love that you loved it as well. Now it's my turn. Soon. I hope. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it got on my list from an MMGMer. I should have known it was Joanne! :-)

      Delete
    2. Heh heh heh! I won a copy of this from Katia Raina last year and I totally agree, Barbara. It's a great read. What I loved most is that the setting itself is a character.

      Delete
  3. What a fun premise! Thanks Barbara. I like catching up on the Middle grade out there on these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good and I LOVE the cover. This is definitely something I would grab off the "new arrivals" shelf at the library, but since it is a slightly older title I will have to dig it out of the main shelves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I think it's an idea that will resonate with a lot of kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entice, you did. This has been on my to rad list for some time. You just moved it to the top. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer reviews that entice rather than reveal too much. I prefer to go in unbiased. Great enticing, Barbara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this title reminds me of a picture book I read to my 3rd graders: Dinner at Panda's Palace. Very cute book, too, especially for teaching math :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this in my TBR pile and I can see I need to push it up to the top. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yeah. If you bought it in hardback and keep it on the shelf, we know it's going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone who's bought a hard back copy to take up precious space on a book shelf have given me all the endorsement I need!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the billboard-like title, plus any sort of restaurant setting is a fav of mine. I like eating! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this sounds delightful! I missed Joanne's review last year so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! Sounds awesome. I would totally read that. In a heartbeat. Or maybe just a couple hours. I bet I could even squeeze it in before the kids wake up in the morning. Done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have done a wonderful job and enticed me with your words about this story! It sounds like a fun and unique read and I can't wait to check it out. It has been added to my list now! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds very interesting. I'll have to be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the info, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Barbara, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard about this one. Thanks for spotlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was lucky enough to read this ms as it developed. Nan's fantastic and I loved her story from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, this sounds like a great book. No wonder you bought a hardcover for your shelf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the title and it sounds super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments. They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.