Monday, September 16, 2013

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: The Girl from Felony Bay

Here's a book about a girl, written in first person point of view from a girl's perspective, but is truly a book that boys will love. Granted, I'm a girl, but The Girl from Felony Bay by J.E. Thompson is an adventure and a mystery -- and an action-packed one. That's why I know boys will love it. As well as girls. It's also a book I checked out from my local library but by page 88 I knew I needed my own hardcover. And by page 156 I did have my own.

The premise: Abbey Force has lost almost everything in the last nine months. Her dad's been accused of an enormous robbery and her home, Reward Plantation, has been sold to cover his debts. Worst of all, Abbey's dad's been in a coma since all this came about and can't even clear his name. Then the 'No Trespassing' signs show up on Abbey's old property and she and her new friend Bee start poking around. Turns out what's going on dates all the way back to Civil War times and just might right the wrongs done to Abbey's dad.

What I loved: The adventure. The mystery. The action. Abbey's bravery. And I also love how J.E. Thompson blends the contemporary with the past and weaves needed healing with recent times and the long-ago. It's brilliant. The Girl from Felony Bay is reminiscent of Three Times Lucky with its mystery and its setting-that-becomes-a-character. A great, great story and one I'll read again and again.

For more middle grade recommendations, follow the links on
Happy middle grade reading!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great story. And the title really grabs your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good mystery! And I'm always on the lookout for books where the setting is like another character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, heavy issues with Dad being accused of being a thief. Sound interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mystery angle. It reminds me of updated Nancy Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. And I'm a big fan of boys reading more books with girl protagonists, regardless of genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation! I do the same thing - check out a book from the library, then fall in love and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recommendation, Barbara. Sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds perfect!!! I'll tell my 6th graders about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this sounds fantastic! Going on the to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great premise! Very cool how this is a book that can appeal to boys as much as girls...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have it on my tbr list and I'm not surprised you got your own hardcover. It sounds like the perfect book for you.
    Thanks for the feature. :)

    ~Akoss

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminiscent of Three Times Lucky? Sign me up!!

    Also - great title :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love books that make you rush out to buy them, even after you've read them already. Sounds terrific. Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like these high adventure books aren't as prevalent lately and that's a shame. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just added this to my list. Great review Barbara!! I'm always looking for good boys books. I hope you're having a good school year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a definite must read. mystery going back to the Civil War? yes

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like something I have to get!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is in my physical (rather than ethereal) TBR pile, now moving rapidly upwards thanks to your compelling review, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

Comments. They're almost as good as chocolate. Almost.